Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of frequently asked questions. If you are unable to find the answer you’re looking for, feel free to contact us.

Who can apply for Cover My Trip travel insurance?

Cover My Trip travel insurance is available to residents of Australia, who purchase the travel insurance prior to departure.

Who can be covered under a policy?

There are two types of cover offered by Cover My Trip travel insurance.

  • A single/duo policy covers you and your dependent children who are travelling with you on the trip. If you have a travelling companion they may also be covered if they are listed on the Certificate of Insurance.
  • A family policy covers you and your spouse or partner and your dependent children.

Can I buy a policy with Cover My Trip if I'm 80+?

Yes, cover is available to travellers aged over 80 at the time of departure for comprehensive and domestic plans.

All travellers aged 75 years and over at the time of application will be required to undergo a pre-existing medical condition assessment before being provided with cover. We have the absolute right to accept or decline cover, charge an additional premium or impose special conditions such as an excess.

When does my policy start?

Cover commences immediately after we have received payment and provided you with a Certificate of Insurance.  Cover for cancellation costs commences from the date of purchase and all other benefits commence on the start date you have nominated when applying for the insurance.

Which destination should I choose?

You should choose the destination where you are spending the majority of your trip. For example, if you are spending 3 days in Bangkok, 2 weeks in Europe and 4 weeks in the United States of America, select “Worldwide” as your region of choice. All other areas of travel will be covered by this destination choice as well. Please remember to check the Smart Traveller website to ensure you are not travelling to an area where there is a “Do Not Travel” warning in place as there may be no cover under the policy should something go wrong in such an area.

Can I insure high value items?

You can add high value items to the policy within the purchase path and by paying the additional premium applicable. You can purchase increased item limit cover for the listed item type(s) and amount(s) we give you during the purchase path.

Can I extend my policy while I'm away?

Yes you can, provided you do so before the policy expires, subject to the terms and conditions stated in the PDS.

To extend the policy, you can do so by contacting us on 1800 216 358. Please note that we do not keep a record of your credit card or payment information so cannot extend the policy on your behalf. You must contact us by phone and do so prior to the policy expiring.

When we have agreed to extend cover, we will issue you with a new Certificate of Insurance. The period of cover on your new Certificate cannot exceed a period of 12 months. An extension of cover is not available for pre-existing medical conditions accepted by us or for any condition you have suffered during the term of your original policy.

Can I cancel my policy?

If you decide that you no longer want your policy with Cover My Trip, you may cancel your policy by contacting us on 1300 268 000.

To obtain a full refund of the premium you have paid for the policy you must:

  1. cancel the policy within 14 days after you are issued your Certificate of Insurance; and
  2. not have commenced travel; and
  3. not have made or be intending to make any claims under the policy; and
  4. not be intending to use the policy in any way.

You can cancel your policy at anytime outside the cooling off period, however there will be no refund on any part of the premium paid for the policy.

If I don't have a return ticket, can I still get cover?

Yes, however if you make a claim for additional expenses to return to Australia, your settlement amount will be reduced by the price of the fare to Australia from the place you planned to return to Australia from.

Are adventure activities included?

Many amateur sporting and adventure activities are covered at no additional costs under all plans. Activities covered include bungee jumping, scuba diving (no deeper than 10m), water skiing, white water rafting, trekking (up to 3000 metres) and hot air ballooning. These activities are all subject to the terms and conditions listed in the PDS. If you are planning on skiing or snowboarding, you will need to add this option to your policy during the purchase path and will be required to pay an additional premium.

Am I covered when on a sailing trip?

You are covered for travel on cruises and ferries, provided the correct region has been selected when you purchased the travel insurance policy. However, when you participate in sailing, you are not covered if you sail more than 10 nautical miles from any land mass. If you are unsure, please contact us to see whether your proposed activity can be covered, subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the PDS, before you travel.

Am I covered if I work overseas?

Your policy excludes cover for claims that arise from manual work, or where the loss is recoverable under a workers’ compensation scheme or similar legislation. See the General Exclusions applicable to all sections part of the PDS.

Who do I contact for emergency assistance when overseas?

In the event of an emergency you should contact Allianz Global Assistance on +61 7 3305 7499 or by email, [email protected]. The Allianz Global Assistance medical assistance team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you.

I made a mistake when purchasing the insurance policy. How do I fix it?

Accidents happen! If you have made a mistake when completing your travel insurance application, simply call us on 1300 268 000, have your policy information with you when you call and we can do the rest. Please note, that should you wish to cancel your policy, the standard cooling off period restrictions apply.

How long will it take for my online claim to be finalised?

A member of our claims team will be in touch within ten days of  lodging your claim. At this point we will advise if any further evidence is required or if we can finalise your claim as it stands.